How to Improve Ecommerce Sales
Ecommerce can be very competitive especially if you sell common products. While platforms such as Shopify have made it easier for many to start an online business there is more to selling online then just building a website. Over the nearly two decades that I’ve worked in digital marketing, I still come across many business owners who don’t think about how they are going to marketing their business after it is built. They will spend thousands of dollars to build a site to realize once it is built that they need to now spend money to drive sales.
On the flip side, many website owners think SEO is “free” traffic and it’s not. You need to either learn SEO which takes time and patience as well as money to pay for tools you’ll need to help you track keywords. Or, you need to hire a professional to assist you in optimizing your site which also costs money. In this article, I will review my top ways to improve the eCommerce sales that you can do yourself but will still require time and/or money.
How to improve eCommerce conversions quickly
Many Shopify store owners don’t really know what people want when it comes to the shopping experience. They tend to forget what it is like to be a shopper. What is it you need to see in order to make a purchase? Take a look at this great example below. There are so many key takeaways that it’s hard for someone not to buy. All of the information shoppers need is right here on the product page without needing to scroll down to find any data.
- Reviews sell. Making reviews at the forefront of your product page is one of the most important factors.
- The cost of the product is important so do not make it difficult to find. What’s more important is the savings they will receive. I would have the price and/or the savings in a different color to make it stand out more.
- Easy selection of colors allows shoppers to easily see what the items look like. When you click a color the photo changes and the person never needs to scroll down to see the other styles or colors.
- Easy to increase or decrease quantity.
- If shoppers want it fast they need to hurry. Urgency is a great way to improve eCommerce sales.
- Trust signals help shoppers feel confident that their information will be safe.
- People love guarantees. Shoppers are more likely to buy if they know returns are accepted and easy.
How blogging can help with eCommerce sales
Google loves content. Well-written content can drive a huge amount of traffic, but you can’t just write about any old topic. You need to mix creativity with basic SEO optimization. Many eCommerce sites will write blog posts around “the best” product or write reviews about their products and that isn’t a bad idea. What you may find is that there are already many sites taking that approach which will make it difficult for you to rank well enough to drive meaningful traffic.
Use Google search to determine what people are searching for and create content around it. Let’s take a look at what we could write about if we sold blenders. Google will suggest searches based on data they have already collected. As you can see there are some good ideas here. You could create a blog post around how to choose the right blender and it would probably be a lengthy post that would provide a lot of value to not only users but to Google.
If you look further down on the page you’ll notice related questions that searchers also ask. You could create blog posts that answer those questions and others that you think are important to address. Including the answers to these questions in your post will help the content be as informative as possible or branch these questions into even more blog posts.
Expand your knowledge through learning
In order to maximize the growth of your website and improve sales, you need to be able to learn as much as you can about online marketing even if you don’t plan to do all of the work yourself. One of the many places you can learn about marketing is through digital marketing blogs like this one, podcasts, and even books.
I recently wrote a book that lays out a lot of what is covered in this article in more detail. I wrote it for those who have a basic knowledge of eCommerce marketing but need more advanced tactics to grow their online traffic and sales to the next level. You can grab a copy on Amazon in print or as an ebook.
Increase order value with an upsell
You can increase sales by adding upsells to your checkout process to increase the order value. As an example; if you sold sunglasses you could offer an upsell of an eyeglass case or cleaning/repair kit as an upsell. It’s related to the purchase and is a simple way to sell more without being pushy. This allows you to increase the revenue you generate without the need to drive more traffic. This is probably one of the easiest and fast ways to drive more sales providing the upsell is highly relatable and at a low price point for the customer.
Using paid traffic to driving sales
Paid search tends to scare a lot of business owners as there is a lot of unpredictability and too many things tend to go wrong with paid search. Regardless if it is paid text ads or Google shopping ads. It’s important that you understand how to structure and build out campaigns. I’ve created a guide on optimizing shopping ads for those who already have shopping ads running. You’ll learn how to better manage your account for performance.
I do recommend staying away from smart shopping as it takes away control due to the automation and in my experience, it doesn’t work for many eCommerce sites. However, if you have only a small about of products it would be worth testing. You can read my review on Google smart campaigns and check out the pros and cons.
Get more links to your site
Links are important when it comes to ranking content withing Google however, many people do not link to eCommerce sites unless it’s an unusual or extremely inventive product. Writing blog posts can help with building links and awareness to your site. There is also a number of other ways to promote your products and to gain some valuable links.
- Giveaways– People love giveaways and you can easily build up your email list. Social media ads on Facebook and Instagram are good places to start. You can go to giveaway sites and get a link from them to your giveaway landing page.
- Product reviews – You can do these yourself and post them on social media or give them to others to review and link back to your product.
- How-to videos – Product how-to videos are great for teaching people how to use a product and its features. A link to your product in your Youtube video can generate sales and traffic.
These are some of the best ways to increase eCommerce sales to your site without doing a lot of work. What have you done to improve your eCommerce site? What worked and what didn’t?